Old, vintage, historical book archives at the Morwell Historical Society

Tobruk Street Primary School No.4680

A Journey in Time – A Resource for Local History

Tobruk Street Primary School No.4680

Approval for the construction of a third Morwell Primary School was given in June 1951. The school was planned to cater for the children who would be living in the 300 home Housing Commission area known as the “Hourigan Estate”.

When discussing the issue of the “Churchill Road School” as it was then referred to, the Shire Council resolved in May 1952 to ask the Education Department to call for tenders for a “built on site” building in preference to a pre-fabricated unit. Cr. Hourigan believed that ” a local job would be better, cheaper and completed earlier”.

The Department had earlier advised that a pre-fabricated unit could be ready by February 1953. Cr. Hare stressed the need for the school to be erected as soon as possible.

Tobruk Street Primary School was eventually established on 2nd. February 1954, at a site on the corner of Churchill Road. The initial pupil enrolment was approximately 500. Meetings were held in February to establish a Mother’s Club, at one of these meetings it was decided that a Father’s Club should also be formed.

The following were elected as office bearers:

Mother’ s Club President: Mrs. Jeffrey Vice Presidents: Mrs. Milligan and Mrs. Cummings Secretary: Mrs. Scicluna

Father’s Club President: Mr. Little Secretary/Treasurer: Mr. Scicluna Committee: Messrs. Judge, Cash, Bakker, Cook and Jeffrey

The school committee was formed at a meeting held on Monday 15th March. The office bearers elected at that meeting were:

Chairman: Mr. Woolley Correspondent: Mr. Baker Treasurer: Mr. Sawyer Committee: Messrs. Cook, Bakker, Millett and McKay

The first head teacher was Mr. John Evans.