An announcement was made in August 1951 to the effect that plans and specifications were being drawn up for the construction of a new police station at Morwell. The local Member for Parliament Mr. H. Hyland stated that Mr. McKnight, an architect from Rutherglen was to supply the Public Works Department with the completed details by July 27th.
The site chosen for the new station was located at the western end of Commercial Road not far from the Town Hall.Setting out work commenced at the site on Monday 14th January 1952. The plans indicated a building of two storey construction, measuring some 18 feet to the ceiling, with a frontage of 29 feet 81/4 inches and 73 feet 4 inches in depth. The new station included accommodation for three single men, office space and two detention cells, which were located on the ground floor at the rear.
Construction works were completed by mid May 1953.
1950 - 1956 C. Derham
1956 - 1959 A. Stock
1959 - onwards C. J. Crowe
|1914 -18 * 1939 -45
IN PROUD MEMORY OF THOSE MEN AND WOMEN WHO SERVED IN WORLD WARS 1 AND 11, AND TO THOSE WHO PASSED FROM THE SIGHT OF MAN
LEST WE FORGET
|Postmasters:||1950 - 1952 Robert L. Lamour 1952 - onwards John A. Hughes|
The Maya Theatre opened on Friday 6th April 1956. The proprietor was Mr. Rex Hamilton of Yallourn. The theatre, which was situated in Buckley Street, had a frontage of 75 feet and a depth of 160 feet. The building design incorporated a small flat, which was located above the main auditorium.
The "Maya" provided air conditioned comfort and seating for 860 patrons, 430 in Lounge and Circle plus another 430 in the stalls. All seats were upholstered with a covering called "Vynex". The espresso coffee lounge at the front of the building had a counter that measured 65 feet. The needs of the "sweet-tooths" in the town were well and truly catered for by the "Sweets Bar" in the main foyer. The "Sweets Bar" had a counter measuring some 36 feet.
Carpeting was extensive throughout the theatre. This included the inner and outer lounge foyers. An interesting feature of the inner foyer was a large wall mirror that was 25 feet in length and 9 feet high.
Chandeliers, suspended from the ceiling, provided the interior lighting. Interior doors were finished in studded "Vynex".
On the technical side of things, the Maya theatre was very well equipped. It had the most up-to-date projection system and an audio system called "Duosonic" sound. Films were projected onto a cinema screen that measured 32 feet.
The building contractor for the project was Mr. G. Harris, a Master Builder from Melbourne.
Mention should be made of the very interesting type of roofing material that was employed in the construction of the theatre. The " Stramit" roof was made of pressed straw for insulation purposes with layers of felt and bitumen.
|The main suppliers were:|
|Lighting systems - Traralgon Electrics|
|Furnishings - Myer Stores|
|Bricks - Traralgon?|
|Wrought Iron - Caslakes (Melbourne Firm)|
In January 1937 Morwell's courtroom facilities were incorporated within the Town Hall complex at the corner of Commercial and Hazelwood Roads. By the early 1950's these over-taxed facilities were in urgent need of re-location.
In June 1951 it was announced that plans and specifications for a new courthouse complex were being prepared. The documentation was expected by the end of August. Government funding cutbacks occurred at about this time and the project was put on hold.
The problem of overcrowding in the courthouse facilities became so acute that in August 1952 the Law Department requested the use of the Council Chamber for court proceedings. Council refused this request.
In September 1953 Sir Herbert Hyland M.L.A. for Gippsland South inspected the court on one of his regular visits to Morwell. He was extremely critical of what he found. The Morwell Advertiser quoted Sir Herbert as saying "The conditions under which Police Court sessions at Morwell are held are most unfair to the bench, police, legal profession and others who attend the court".
During his visit, Sir Herbert also stated that the Crown Law Department had advised him on July 27th. 1953 that plans and specifications for a new court facility were ready and that when sufficient funding was made available the work would proceed.
In an attempt to push things along and secure the promised funds Sir Herbert invited the Attorney General to personally inspect and see for himself the state-of- affairs that existed at that time.
The new purpose built Courthouse was opened on Thursday 7th March 1957. The ceremony was performed by Mr. A. G. Rylah, Victorian Chief Secretary. The building, situated behind the Police Station (built in 1953) in Commercial Road was constructed at a cost of 30,000.
The dignitaries in attendance at the official ceremony included :
Mr. A. G. Rylah (Chief Secretary), Cr. W. J. Pettigrew (Shire President), Mr. E. B. Walsh (Stipendiary Magistrate), Cr. J. C. Balfour M.L.A. Sir Herbert Hyland M.L.A., Mr. A. A. Buchanan M.H.R., Cr. A. L. Hare (Senior local Justice). Mr. P. M. Fox(President of the Victorian Law Institute.).
Court Officials: the following people officiated at the Morwell court facility.
Stipendiary Magistrates: Mr. William John Cuthill, Mr. C. Elvish, Mr. N.T. Thompson, Mr. E. B. Walsh, Mr. I. W. Williams.
Justices of The Peace: John Martin Bolger, James Charles Bush, George Stanley Evans, William P. Firmin, Alan Hall, Anthony Hanson, Arthur Leslie Hare, Vincent Hourigan, Richard John Long, George Silvester McFarlane, Edmund Kay Penaluna, Thomas Quigley, William Frederick Robbins, Leonard Beavis Trigg, Bernard Francis Walsh, David James White.
|Latrobe Valley Hotel|
The construction of the Latrobe Valley Hotel now known as the Merton Rush was a major project for the northern side of the township. The site was located on the corner of Collins Street and the Princes Highway. Work commenced at the site in early May 1957. The builder in charge of construction was Mr. C. K. McInness from Dandenong. The works foreman was Mr. V. Hocking.
The building consisted of two storeys (the plans allowed for a third if required at a later date) the framing was made of steel and reinforced concrete, faced with attractive cream brickwork. The project took 13 months to complete. The total cost including furniture and fittings amounted to approximately 210,000.
Mr. John McGauran from Traralgon was the Managing Director of Latrobe Valley Hotels Pty. Ltd., the company that would own and operate the new hotel.
Mrs. McGauran in association with a firm from St. Kilda planned the decor and furnishings.
The Latrobe Valley Hotel was officially opened at 4p.m. on Monday, July 7th. 1958.
The hotel had many features, and in its day was considered to be one of the best modern hotels in regional Victoria.
The public areas were situated on the ground floor. The "Public Bar" boasted a 190 foot island bar, which served beer from 14 taps. The island bar in the "Saloon" measured some 40 feet in length. The "Ladies Lounge" was able to seat 100 persons in comfort.
A spacious beer garden was provided at the rear of the premises, and bottle shop facilities were readily available. The cool room located in the cellar could accommodate 100 barrels.
The lounge and reception room, which was located on the first floor, measured 42 by 30 feet. The dining room which was also upstairs had the capacity to provide meals for 100 customers. The Chef in charge of the dining room and the staff eating area was a Mr. Nightingale who had come to Morwell from England where he had worked in several large hotels.
The Latrobe Valley Hotel was noted for the standard of accommodation it afforded to its guests.
There were 25 bedrooms : 18 single and 7 double. Each bedroom was provided with hot and cold water connected to hand basins. Communal showers and bathrooms were located next to the bedrooms. Toilet facilities were provided on all floors. There was also one suite, which had private shower and bathroom facilities. All bedrooms were supplied with a telephone.
The hotel provided employment for 40 people.
Manager: Mr. M. Beardsworth Assistant Manager: Mr. R. Kessner Manageress: Mrs. E. Hall